By Trish on August 5, 2012
Since adopting a plant-based diet, I’ve discovered so many new foods that I just can’t get enough of, and it saddens me to know that I’ve lived more than twenty years without enjoying these delicious foods. My brother and I like to give my mom a hard time about how both of us were in our twenties when we each discovered the joy of sweet potatoes roasted with a bit of olive oil and thyme. Mom blames it on Grandma, who turns right around and shakes her finger at Mom and says that she was the one who didn’t like them in the first place! Well!
On the other hand, I love thinking of all the new things I’m now enjoying, and thought it would be fun to make a list of the foods I wouldn’t have touched with a five-foot pole a few years ago:
- avocados and guacamole
- cherry tomatoes, fresh from the vine! — see photo above
- kale and kale chips!
- sweet potatoes
- tofu in any form other than fried in pad thai
- nutritional yeast
- chia seeds (this berry chia seed jam is amazing!)
- butternut squash soup
- chickpea cutlets (OMG yum!)
- yellow mustard (what?! I blame this on Ty…)
- Ethiopian food from the farmers market (Clarissa’s fault!)
- grilled asparagus
- raw sugar snap peas
- anything Thai curry (but not too spicy)
- roasted Brussels sprouts
- cucumbers (not dipped in anything)
- pico de gallo
- three- or four-bean salad
- chocolate hemp milk (my guilty pleasure, and totally my brother’s fault)
I love how our tastes changes as we get older. Food is so much more interesting now, than it used to be. However, you still won’t get me to eat a lima bean!
Do you have a newfound food love, which you couldn’t stand before?